New year's resolutions are necessary because they set specific goals for one's life right at the beginning of a particular year.
A life without appropriate Personal goals is likely to be a life without any significant achievement. Daniel and the prodigal son made personal resolutions that helped them in different ways.
What are new year's Resolutions?
New year's resolutions are solemn decision made by individual at the beginning of a new year ( usually on 1 January) based on past experience and future aspirations. They are usually the results of a sober reflection on one's success and failures in several areas (religious, family, business, career, social, etc) aimed at improving one's life. New year's resolutions constitutes a unique type of peronal decision.
An Examples of New Year's Resolutions
Evangelism is the most important service Christians can render to God and humanity Because of the value of a soul.
Jesus gave us the Great commission:" And he said unto them, go ye into all the word, and preach the gospel to every creatures. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be Damned."(Mark 16:15-16). Redemption Through Jesus Christ
The last words of Jesus on Earth before he ascended to Heaven were on evangelism:"But he shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all judae, and in Samaria, and into the uttermost part of the earth." (Acts 1:8)
Consequently, one may make a resolution to engage in Personal evangelism for soul Winning. For example, some years ago, our founding fathers and pioneer international Director of Greater Evangelism World Crusade, Apostles Geoffrey D. Numbere (1944-2014), led at Least 25 persons to Christ within 2 weeks through peronal Evangelism.
This was the result of his personal resolutions from his New Year Sermon on the urgent need for individual preaching of the Gospel. He led by example.
Requirements for an Effective Resolution.
From the lives of Daniel and the prodigal Son, we can identify three requirements for an Effective Resolution.
1. Jenuine conviction: it must come out of a genuine personal conviction about a bad thing you want o avoid or a good thing you want to do or improve upon. As a Jew, Daniel knew that idolatary was a sin against God (Exodus 20:1-6); the prodigal son hated the state of his life (Luke 15:14-17).
2. Specific Decision- make specific decision according to your situation. Daniel decided not to defile himself even in captivity (Daniel 1:1-8); the prodigal Son decided to return to his father for his forgiveness and resolution (Luke 15-18-19)
3. Steadfast Commitment- Like Daniel (Daniel 1:10-16) and the Prodigal son (Luke 15:20-21), you must carry out your resolutions with steadfast commitment. Note that procrastination is major obstacle to achieving one's goals.
What you must do as a Christian Every New year.
1. Please, write down your personal resolutions for this new year. Determine to achieve each of them.
2. Earnestly pray for God's grace and power to enable you execute your Resolution.